DYFConf Notes: Brennan Dunn – The End of Consulting
Build a business that fits the life you want to live
With agencies you end up becoming manager.
Wanted to emulate another agency. Didn’t have any direction. Had built a business that had to build a life around.
- Kids about to be asleep when got home
- Only saw family on the weekends
- You want to become a premium consultant. No exit plan
- You want to scale, and ultimately build an asset. You can build a company. You can build one that doesn’t require you as an input.
- You want to use client work to finance building _other _assets. Client work subsidizes other work. Shout out to https://unicornfree.com/2012/be-your-own-angel-how-to-make-money-happen
The little red hen.
Indecision kills productivity
You have a finite bank of decision making points. Rank by effectiveness
Think of the things that actually produce results effectively.
Your task isn’t write a book. It’s something you can actually define. Write a table of contents. Write a first chapter.
Journal like Thomas Jeffereson – kept journals. 1. tracked every seed he ever planted 2. tracked every for correspondence 3. Tracked weather
- What did I do?
- What worked?
- What didn’t?
- What (financial) impact?
You’re going to have bad weeks/months
If you can see a trend showing forward movement, that’s the best way to overcome doubt.
Start or join a mastermind.
- Even if you’re the sole owner of an agency.
- Or higher level strategies.
“you don’t know if we’re going to be around in a month”.
Don’t be afraid to turn around.
There is a reluctance to admit to ourselves that we’ve made a mistake.
Abstract ideas are going to remain abstract until you map out a way to accomplish them.
- Charge What You’re Worth
- How to Prepare Yourself to Quit Your Job and Go Freelance
- Should You Ever Work for Free
- The Definitive Guide to Getting Paid as a Freelancer
- Kai Davis‘s Notes on Brennan’s Talk
You may also like:
- DYFConf Notes: Kai Davis – How to Build an Audience
- DYFConf Notes: Brian Casel – Productize to $10k/month
- DYFConf Notes: Amy Hoy – Consulting-ized Products
- DYFConf Notes: Julie Elster – Getting Paid
- DYFConf Notes: Ed Gandia – Effortless Productivity
- DYFConf Notes: Nathan Barry – How to Become an Authority
- DYFConf Notes: Allan Branch – When/How to Hire Employees and…
- DYFConf Notes: Jonathan Stark – The Path to Value Pricing
- DYFConf Notes: Mojca Mars – Don’t Be a Robot
- DYFConf Notes: Kurt Elster – Work Smarter, Not Harder
- DYFConf Notes: Sarah Bray – Share Better — A People…
- DYFConf Notes: James Clear – How to develop better work…